Monday, April 1, 2013

American Family Vacation (In Italy)


Hello everyone!
As I have previously mentioned, my American family (my mother, step father, family friend, and my grandparents) flew to Italy to meet up with me after 6 and a half months. We had a HUGE Italian trip planned including Venice, Florence, Pisa, Rome, and Milan.
First Stop: Milan.
This day, I took my family into the center of Milan and we ate at famous Luini’s for calzones. It was super yummy. Then we went to see the Duomo di Milano. Everyone loved it. My family got to meet my Italian friends. My friends were so excited to see my family. They were awestruck by my whole family. We even went to dinner with my friend Jenni and her mom. I, of course, acted as the translator. My mom would ask my friend’s mom a question and she would tell me in Italian and I would have to translate it into English. Overall, my family really enjoyed the hustle and bustle of Milano.
Second stop: Venice.
Venice was great! It was so beautiful and we had so much fun! We got to ride in a Gondola and see a real outdoor fresh food market. It was so cool. There were raw fish, vegetables, fruits, and everything else you can imagine. Venice was absolutely gorgeous and we stayed in a really nice Bed and Breakfast.
Third Stop: Florence.
Florence was very beautiful. It is such a charismatic city with so many lively colors and people. We saw the Statue of David, Fransician Monk Churches, and lots of gorgeous jewelry stores.
Fourth Stop: Pisa.
Unbelievable. That’s all I can say about Pisa. It was a small city with not a lot to do, but seeing the Leaning Tower of Pisa was soooo incredible! I got to climb the Leaning Tower of Pisa! It was so much fun. It seemed like it would fall over, but it was really cool. Then, we had the BEST dinner ever at a restaurant called “Bruno’s.” It had the best food ever. There was T-bone steak with truffles, Porcini mushrooms, Spaghetti with clams, Octopus, Lamb, and tons of other incredible foods. I will have to return to Pisa if just for the purpose of eating at Bruno’s
Fifth Stop: Rome.
Rome was absolutely incredible. We had some bumps in Rome – getting ripped off by a taxi driver and a restaurant trying to sell ice cream for 12 Euros! But, Rome was a dream. I mean, I never ever though I would see the Colosseum or the ancient Roman Ruins or the Vatican City. It was one of those places I figured I would only see in movies. I absolutely loved Rome :)
Home Stop: Milan.
Coming back to Milan, I got to meet a very special person on a day trip to Verona :)
My family and I also spent Easter together at an AMAZING restaurant Barbagianni. It was an incredible 4 course meal that took about 3 and a half hours to eat (with about 25 minutes between each meal) It was such an amazing Easter day as my family and I were welcomed into this homely restaurant.

Anyway, this was an amazing adventure that I am so glad I got to spend with my family. Thanks so much Bryan and Jennifer Jackway, Jenna Peitz, and Beverly and Kent Bergstrom for coming to visit me in Italy :) <3

~Shelby Kenville

No comments:

Post a Comment