Thursday, January 17, 2013

My Treatment as an American

Buon giorno,

As you can tell, I am running out of ways to introduce this blog ._. I guess I will just mix it up with random Italian greetings and occasionally something in English... But anyway, as an American, I am treated a little differently but different people... 

In Italy, teenagers are absolutely in LOVE with the idea of America. They constantly talk about how badly they want to see New York, California, and Florida. They practically don't even acknowledge any other states (besides Texas because it is so huge.) So, I consider myself lucky I lived in California for 14 years before I moved to Ohio and still visit there every summer and Holiday! 
So, depending on who they are, most teenagers ask me questions about how wonderful America is... I mean, I can't really describe it as wonderful as they want. Don't get me wrong, I am very prideful in being an American. I freak out when someone lets a flag touch the ground and I put my hand over my heart while singing "The Star Spangled Banner" (and I sing it too;) I love when I listen to my iPod and an American song comes on such as "Proud to be an American" or "Independence Day." I love my America, but I just don't see it the same way these teenagers do. They see the TV (specifically the MTV) version of America. The schools with lockers, beautiful, tall, blonde, women everywhere and tan guys with 6-packs walking down the street. This is the "American stereotype" for teenagers. 

However, though I am American, a lot of people don't know how to act around me... This is probably because they don't know my level of Italian and they just don't know what kind of person I am, therefore, some people never talk to me... On the other hand, there are people who ask me new questions, or the same questions, almost everyday. A lot of the times I am forced to push the conversation and try and get people to open up to me, which is very difficult because I am insanely shy. Hopefully, as my Italian keeps improving, I will be able to get more people to feel comfortable around me. 

Teenagers and adults, however, have very different views on us Americans. You can probably guess. Stupid, fat, lazy... I think that's what most of them think... Of course, no one goes right out and says that, but when American topics come up in conversation with adults, they usually end up saying something that makes me think of either stupid or lazy. For example, the fact that most assignments here are oral and in America, they are mostly writing... A lot of adults think this in incredibly strange and that Italians are clearly more capable than us Americans. Haha. 

However, stereotypes are just a part of life, and we have to deal with them. No one is cruel to me, so all is well :) I can't wait to watch my Italian and social skills continue to grow. 

Thank you so much for reading and for all my family and friends that have kept in contact, thank you so much. I appreciate every message. :) <3 <3 

Made this the other day out of boredom... :) 

Grazie!!! Arrivederci! :)

~Shelby Janae







No comments:

Post a Comment