Saturday, February 2, 2013

Italian Families

Hey everybody!! I hope everyone is doing well! I'm pretty much healed now; just the runny nose left over! This post is going to be about my experience with family life in Italy. Remember, I can't make generalizations because I have only had one family so far. When I switch in March, I will write on this topic again!

Anyway, I feel like family here in Italy is a little different that in America. For example, at the dinner table, we usual are sitting there talking for 30-45 minutes, sometimes more. In America, dinner is much faster than that except Thanksgiving and Christmas. Here, after dinner, we just watch TV on the couch until bed. After dinner is pretty much the same as in America!
Unfortunately, my host mom works very late. She comes home usually at nine, so a lot of nights, it is just me, my host dad, and my host sister for dinner. But when she is home, it is much nicer!

In general, everyone has a brother or sister. I don't think any one of my friends is an only child. Also, everyone I know shares a room with their brother or sister. Single rooms are very rare, I think, because the houses are smaller.

But in general, extended families don't live together like mine. I think this is just my family's special situation. I always here friends talking about going to their grandma's house though, so I think everyone lives close to the extended family for the most part. I am just the lucky one that gets to eat lunch with my grandma everyday! :)

Anyway, just as an added bonus, today is my 150th day in Italy!! I have about another 150 to go, so I am half way through! How crazy is that? It does not feel like I have been here that long. 150 days. That is absolutely madness!! I am definitely missing some food, my dogs, and my family, but I am definitely not going back.. My Italian is still developing, but I can understand almost everything! It's so exciting!! :) 

Well, I shall write again soon! Thanks for reading! :D <3 <3 

~Shelby Janae


No comments:

Post a Comment